Wednesday, February 10, 2021

The Q Reminiscences

 

As I dropped my bag on the X-ray belt at the entrance gate of my office, I noticed a small placard announcing – Come in Q please. I was surprised that such a basic discipline was required to be called out in a plush office employing well-educated people. But that also took my memory back to the long-forgotten Q-culture of our everyday life.

My earliest memory and experience of a Queue, and for that matter it could be for all of us, is that very first inculcation of discipline in the school, while going to our respective classes after the morning assembly.  And surprisingly, for whatever joy it brought, the very first act of disobedience also originated from within those Queues, the moment that Queue took a turn, away from the watchful eyes of the class teacher.

In the mid-seventies, I was too young to understand the rigmaroles of life but the omnipresence of the Queue had surely made an impression on my young mind.  It was so much a part of the social life that a popular Hindi movie of Manoj Kumar had a song mocking this societal nuisance and those lines – Ration wali line ki lambai maar gayi – used to rent the air so much that it became a fulcrum of political revolution that had dethroned the de facto  ‘Q’ueen of the country.

My tryst with the Queue continued through my school and college days when I was handed over the chores of booking a railway ticket, paying electricity bill or sending a money order from the post office. There used to be just one or two counters for the whole city to complete their business and hence one can imagine the length of the queue to do the work that today we do at the click of a button from our cozy homes. And all those hours that I would stand in the Queue, I would be worried about my cycle that I would have chained with a pole or with the iron railing along the footpath. The risk of losing my cycle in those days was as high as losing money by investing in a volatile stock market today. But I had little choice.

Watching a movie in a multiplex is a pleasure these days. Booking the tickets in advance and picking your favorite seats on your mobile is a routine. Back in those days, one had to reach the theater at least 2 hours in advance, as we do today for taking an international flight. There would be long queues, that we all had been trained for at the school, albeit with no teacher to watch over. So, leave aside the pleasure, it was more of a battle to get the tickets.

In the post millennial world, life has become much simpler. The widespread digitalization and easy access to the computing devices has made these services accessible through thousands of parallel threads.  Most of the services are available online and any maintenance or help is through a Call Center. It is another matter that when you call them, on most of the occasions, you may still find yourself ‘in the Queue’. So, despite all the automation and the digitalization, the quintessential ‘Queue’ could not be killed. Amongst the many things that we picked up from our erstwhile rulers this could be one as well  -  Long Live the ‘Q’ueen.

No comments:

Post a Comment