Saturday, July 28, 2018

Whatsapp Group Rule That Threatened My Domestic Peace


As we sipped our tea on a quiet morning, glued to our own copy of the newspaper – we, my wife and I, subscribe to two newspapers to avoid any conflict early in the morning – the trending topic of controls on Whatsapp came up for a discussion. She wanted to know, if ever we were to be restricted to 5 whatsapp groups, what would be my order of preference.

As I was about to respond, I had no idea that I was walking straight into a well-laid trap. I quickly jumped into evaluating the various groups that I was a member of.  One group that generated maximum clinks on my phone was that of a large family group on my maternal side – a typical Tambram group spread across the globe – sharing a few good or bad family news, some jokes some riddles a lot many divine pictures, shlokas and reminders or alerts to the upcoming festivals and rituals.  This group kept me connected with my roots and therefore I declared my large extended family group as my first choice. Her face appeared to be quite blank and expressionless.

For the second choice, I picked up my colleagues’ group – the group helped me to stay updated while I was traveling.  And by far, this was the group wherein I was most active, amongst all my groups.  Besides, the group was always very generous in its appreciation for my blogs and hence I did have a vested interest in that.  Then came my apartment friends’ group. It was equally important as it carried a lot of gossip, some internal politics and all the important announcements on the basic amenities. I was quite active in this group as well. And I could notice a slight change in the expression on my wife’s face now.

The fourth group was a no brainer for me. It was a group of my ex-colleagues from my previous organization. We were a bunch of youngsters who had joined a large public sector together. A few of them left the organization mid-way but many continued. This whatsapp group kept us connected and brought a bagful of happy memories of the past. The good old days, as they say. I wouldn’t want to stay away from this group either – I declared.

Now, picking the fifth and the last group was a big challenge. My wife was running through the pages of her newspaper but had all ears on my last choice. I realized that I had not yet named her large extended Punjabi family group and it would be akin to scoring a huge self-goal if I did not include that in my final list of five. On the other hand, I had this strong tilt towards another group of my school /college friends who kept alive those spirits of my adolescence. The memories of that gay abandon. The remembrances of those childhood crushes.

As I was about to commit a cardinal mistake, the Manager in me woke up just in time. I cleared my throat and told her that the last group was very critical. And I explained - Your family group is most important for me. I love those Punjabi-Multani jokes doing rounds there. I admire some of the intellectual posts shared by your brother. At the same time, I wouldn’t want to inadvertently share any of that crude stuff that sometimes slips in from my college group. You know what I mean.  I would, therefore, not like to freeze it on some particular group for the fifth slot. Let me keep it flexible and I will take it based on the context and significance of the topic.

I was not sure if I had completely doused the fire, but from the reaction of my wife I could make out that a major damage was avoided. At least, the tea session ended peacefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment